Tuesday, July 4, 2017

How To Love God



‘…Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.’    Luke 10:27

For years I had tried to serve God the way He desired and for years I failed, easily slipping back to the world and all its empty promises.  I read the Bible and I knew what was right and wrong in His eyes but it was as though, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn’t do it.  I gave Him lip-service but not heart-service.  I remember getting frustrated and thinking that it was impossible, but that longing to serve Him wholeheartedly remained, so I forged on.  Then one day I prayed a bold prayer.  

Standing in my back yard, gazing up at the blue sky, I got real with Him.  My prayer went something like this, “God, Your word says that I need to love You and be willing to choose You first, but God, I don’t love you so please help me.”  I stood silent as that prayer wafted up to the heavens.  I’d like to tell you that I was different from that day on and I loved Him with my whole heart, but I wasn’t and I didn’t.

Not long after I sent my request Heavenward, my life took an unimaginable turn and I was alone in a self-made prison of despair.  I’d go to work then come home and sit in my back yard and drink, cry and curse, but I’d pray as well.  I begged God not to let me go because I knew that the road I found myself traveling down was one that would plunge me deeper into darkness.  Yet day after day I drank my sorrows and day after day I begged God not to let me go.  This went on for years.  God met me where I was day after day.  He was my constant and it was during that time I grew to love Him.  We spent every day together, me begging, He listening and loving.  He carried me through.  I learned much about Him.  Every promise in His word that says that He loves us unconditionally…true, that He will never leave us nor forsake us…true, that He sticks closer than a brother…true…every promise…true!  I am a living testament that ALL His promises are true. 

My walk with Him is not perfect, I am human and I do stupid things, but He loves me back to that right path, the one that He has laid out before me and I willingly choose Him.  I don’t want to hurt Him or disappoint Him.  My love for Him has changed me for the better—I can honestly say that I love myself and others, as well.  

I look back with gratitude on that dark road that I travelled.  It wasn’t easy, but I learned much and wouldn’t change a thing.  He desires for you to love Him with your whole heart, ask Him to help you.  Spend every single day drawing closer to Him, He is as close as the whisper of His name.  He will show Himself faithful, every single time.  Be blessed beautiful people!

1 comment:

  1. Sabrina, it is beautiful!! I think that reading your journey, as you have shared it here......can give someone HOPE. You are writing for Christ, and it is beautiful. He gave you the talent, and you and HE both shine, in your writing. Glory to God, the source of all good. I am going to challenge you to carefully select a few sentences........ to edit into BOLD print.........as the Lord leads or gives you peace.......... just BOLD print some words. Personally, 2nd paragraph, I think what you prayed to God is very significant, and people need to know from your witness.. IT IS O.K. to be that REAL and OPEN with God!

    ReplyDelete